New Zealand Ford Owners Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand Ford Owners Forum

3 posters

FG FPV Engine Torque question

FPV 521

Number of posts : 82
    Registration date : 2008-04-21

FG FPV Engine Torque question Empty FG FPV Engine Torque question

Post by FPV 521 Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:27 am

I am not really mechanically minded but will try.

With the F6 having 565 nm available at only 1950 rpm upwards and the GT having 551 nm at 4750 rpm will the drive train etc last as long in the F6 seeing the it carries more torque more of the time.

Probably not making much sense but if the GT doesnt make its maximun nm until 4750 rpm will it be easier on the drive train etc over time.
    Only reason I ask is that the F6 is putting up some awesome numbers and costs a lot less than the Euro cars 427 etc so will it stand the test of time seeing it is so much cheaper.
    So do the euros etc have a lot stronger transmissions etc for the monry they demand or does one pay a heap more for the badge.

A guy bought this subject up today and his thoughts are that the F6 will wear quicker as drive train etc is under more pressure more often but I am buggered if I know.

Any advice would be great and I know you clever lot will know, well thats if I have made any sense at all.
    FJ
    FJ

Number of posts : 3225
    Registration date : 2008-03-16

FG FPV Engine Torque question Empty Re: FG FPV Engine Torque question

Post by FJ Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:57 am

Not that I know a lot about mechanics mate but what I have read on the FPV cars since they first arrived and doing a recent visit of the FPV factory is that the trans aren't all the same.

For the non Turbo I6's they use the same 6 speed trans unless of course you have the new 5 speed one.

The XR6T has a stronger trans to handle the extra torque over the the standard XR6.

And like wise with the F6, FPV V8's and XR8.

I'll see if I can find the write ups on what the different trans are rated for mate.

These transmissions are tested to the max and are made by the best in world and I haven't heard of any crapping out yet, maybe they would if you were to exceed the torque by massive amounts by doing mods to your engine, but that's the price you pay.

But these transmissions are all made differently for which ever car it is used for.

Hope this is understand able?. Embarassed
    DesFlurane
    DesFlurane

Number of posts : 56
    Registration date : 2008-03-22

Post by DesFlurane Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:55 pm

The ZF is the same one as all the euros use in similarly powerful cars.
    Audi use the same box behind their 4.2 V8 in the S series and A8 for instance.
    Plenty of them have crapped out but only with lots of extra power. They are only rated to 600Nm.
    As for wear out quicker, that rather depends on how you drive.
    Ford say that the ZF is sealed for life! However you can change fluid and filter yourself. This will increase the lifespan of the box.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:30 pm