New Zealand Ford Owners Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand Ford Owners Forum

+7
4Dluvergirl
Janianne
FJ
jondoe
TS50#17
H0WL1N
FNTMV8
11 posters

Cats on yer bonnet?

FNTMV8
    FNTMV8

Number of posts : 396
    Registration date : 2008-03-19

Cats on yer bonnet? Empty Cats on yer bonnet?

Post by FNTMV8 Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:58 pm

Anyone else get pissed off with little muddy paw prints over your just cleaned car?

More to the point, has anyone found a cure yet to keep the cats off?

I don’t have a garage so can’t lock the car up at night. Crying

I have tried:

Pepper, no good though as I start sneezing every time I open the vents…

The old sheet across the bonnet trick…. But since my car has all that lovely canuba wax all over it, all that happens there is the cat jumps up… goes skidding across the bonnet and then extends his claws for traction and you then end up with scratches across the bonnet.

Guns don't work either as the little buggars wait till you are asleep before they come out. Plus there's too many of them and would cost a fortune in bullets.

The cat deterrent spray you buy from the pet shop. This only lasts a couple of days max. And is damned too expensive for what it is. Also there are far too many cats in my neighbourhood to train them all.

Electronic Cat Scarers. Which is a device you aim at the car and it emits a high frequency noise that the cats can hear but humans can’t. This I have had a fair bit of success with this (I have two of them aimed at the car now). But alas I have found that at least one of my neighbour’s cats is deaf. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I have an idea to put an electrified mesh fence around my car now. I’m certain that this will be the winning strategy, but that will cost a little bit to set up so was wondering what else is out there before I make my outlay.

I don’t get heaps of cats now days, since the electronic cat scarers, Maybe only 2-3 times a month, but Murphy’s law dictates that it’s the days when you least want it that you get a visit during the night. And it’s usually rainy nights too when their little paws are the muddiest. bounce

Any other entertaining suggestions greatly appreciated....

Cats on yer bonnet? Empty Re: Cats on yer bonnet?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:05 pm

Mate I have the same problem as I have three cats. Nothing will stop them, it seems it is a passion for cats to trick you and get as many dirty little prints as they can without you seeing them. At this they are very affective.

I just make sure I never scare them off as like you said they will scratch the shit out of the car in the attempt to run. A car cover might be cheaper??
    FNTMV8
    FNTMV8

Post by FNTMV8 Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:09 pm

TS50XR6T wrote:A car cover might be cheaper??

Yep had one of those too. The cats loved it. Shocked Shocked

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:28 pm

I had a problem with a stray cat getting in the house a pissing everywhere. My big fella used to beat the living crap outta it but it still came back. So one night I left the cat door on in only and caught it. I put it in a rubbish bag and let it have the hose for a bit. The bag was shreaded in about a nano second. It never came back. Without hurting the cat give them a situation they can't stand. If they have the fear of the car then they may just leave it alone. Time consuming I know but its the price you pay for a clean car.
    H0WL1N
    H0WL1N
    Sheriff

Number of posts : 1509
    Registration date : 2008-03-17

Post by H0WL1N Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:36 pm

I reckon the gun is the most fun idea, although you would have to be a good shot or else you might have bullet holes all through the panels of your car Laughing Laughing Laughing
    FNTMV8
    FNTMV8

Post by FNTMV8 Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:34 pm

Allshookup wrote:I reckon the gun is the most fun idea, although you would have to be a good shot or else you might have bullet holes all through the panels of your car Laughing Laughing Laughing

And you have to get them while they are motionless too as they are bloody hard to hit when they are on the run. Cool

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:50 pm

LOL, Have you tried Leon ?
    TS50#17
    TS50#17

Number of posts : 39

Post by TS50#17 Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:51 pm

get one of those super soaker pump action water pistols, they hate that. just make sure that there is a way out of the garage for them, or else they will reek havock trying to get out in a hurry.
    FNTMV8
    FNTMV8

Post by FNTMV8 Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:53 pm

Cobra wrote:LOL, Have you tried Leon ?

Actually yes. Not at home but you do come accross the odd 'stray' cat when on a possum hunt. I've never managed to hit one though with a shot gun. They are just too fast..... like the Phantom Cool
    FNTMV8
    FNTMV8

Post by FNTMV8 Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:55 pm

TS50#17 wrote:get one of those super soaker pump action water pistols, they hate that. just make sure that there is a way out of the garage for them, or else they will reek havock trying to get out in a hurry.

This would be cool too if you could actually catch them in the act. I need a way to stop them when I'm not around to stand guard.
    jondoe
    jondoe

Number of posts : 9

Post by jondoe Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:21 am

a hungry rotwellier
    FJ
    FJ

Number of posts : 3225
    Registration date : 2008-03-16

Post by FJ Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:55 am

Either tie a dog to the car or leave the bonnet up, or rig a portable fence unit to the bonnet and give them a little tingle each time they get on it. Laughing Laughing
    H0WL1N
    H0WL1N
    Sheriff

Number of posts : 1509

Post by H0WL1N Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:55 am

FNTMV8 wrote:
    Cobra wrote:LOL, Have you tried Leon ?

Actually yes. Not at home but you do come accross the odd 'stray' cat when on a possum hunt. I've never managed to hit one though with a shot gun. They are just too fast..... like the Phantom Cool

Shot gun is a bit extreme for possums aint it? Laughing Laughing we used to hunt them with .22
    FNTMV8
    FNTMV8

Post by FNTMV8 Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:10 am

FJ wrote:Either tie a dog to the car or leave the bonnet up, or rig a portable fence unit to the bonnet and give them a little tingle each time they get on it. Laughing Laughing

Now this is similar to my electric fence idea. Have you actually done this FJ? Are you able to isolate the bonnet? Otherwise may have a car that won't go in the morning... Rolling Eyes I reckon car dealers everywhere would pay good money for an idea like this....... if it worked.
    FNTMV8
    FNTMV8

Post by FNTMV8 Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:17 am

Allshookup wrote:Shot gun is a bit extreme for possums aint it? Laughing Laughing we used to hunt them with .22

.22 is for rats. Shot gun is no good for rats though. There's nothing left to confirm the kill. Surprised
    FJ
    FJ

Post by FJ Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:32 am

FNTMV8 wrote:
    FJ wrote:Either tie a dog to the car or leave the bonnet up, or rig a portable fence unit to the bonnet and give them a little tingle each time they get on it. Laughing Laughing

Now this is similar to my electric fence idea. Have you actually done this FJ? Are you able to isolate the bonnet? Otherwise may have a car that won't go in the morning... Rolling Eyes I reckon car dealers everywhere would pay good money for an idea like this....... if it worked.

We have a little portable unit mate, its used if we want to put say 10 beefy's on the road side to graze, now these can either run on a 12v car battery or you can put 6 D size batteries into them, You will need to use a metal peg or fence standard as the earth and attach the earth lead to it, and then the power lead to the car bonnet, but that's where it gets tricky mate, cos I wouldn't have a clue whether or not the electric pulse would stuff up your cars ECU or what.........You could try it and let us all know though mate Cool , I've had an electric fence wire sitting on my tractor for a few days once (Because I didn't know it was there) and it never stuffed up the tractors ECU, So It might work. Wink
    Janianne
    Janianne

Number of posts : 314

Post by Janianne Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:38 am

Cats are very cunning, I've given up on them. :cat: One day recently we came home to find our own one sitting on the roof of my car looking inscrutable and guilty. When I say "our" it is Tony's. My car is covered in its dirty paw marks, but I have never known any cat to scratch the paintwork. You can waste alot of time thinking up ways to get back at them, but nothing seems to work. They are devious little shits. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad No No

Post by Guest Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:54 pm

Put a few little bowls Meat[preferable chuck steak type chunks...not too big] to attract the cats on to bonnet[Yes I know what you thinking..]but before you do...Get a bottle of 'Tabasco Sauce and a needled syringe..insert this into bottle of 'T' sauce then inject into meat.Do only a few pieces.Now heres the fun part..the cats should go for the food as most animals do.They shouldn't hopefully come back after that. Twisted Evil
    FJ
    FJ

Post by FJ Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:12 am

What if a stray dog gets a wiff of the meat though? Shocked

The cats like your bonnet because its warm place to sleep and the bulge on the bonnet makes a nice hollow to sleep in.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:43 pm

[quote="FJ"]What if a stray dog gets a wiff of the meat though? Shocked

He might not be back either after it gets wolfed down. Very Happy
    FJ
    FJ

Post by FJ Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:47 pm

But better to have muddy cat prints on your bonnet rather than a dog scratching it. :pale:

Post by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:49 pm

Topic is about a cat on your bonnet..not a dog.
    FJ
    FJ

Post by FJ Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:52 pm

Yeah but if you leave meat out on the bonnet to attract a cat as you said, then you run the risk of a dog jumping up on to it and leaving big scratch marks on your bonnet..............Think about it?. Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:43 am

I hate cats..............let me at them

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:02 am

Cobra wrote:I hate cats..............let me at them

here puss puss puss Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:43 pm