New Zealand Ford Owners Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand Ford Owners Forum

3 posters

XR8 Fuel Surge

Meteor
    Meteor

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2008-03-17

XR8 Fuel Surge Empty XR8 Fuel Surge

Post by Meteor Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:08 am

There's a chap on the FPV & Tickford site (user name of Adrian) with a fuel surge problem... I cant post there but if he's reading this or one of you know him.... I had exactly the same problem with my 02 AU3XR8. Mine's done 30K and a manual. On full noise take off in first and second would cut out and die at around 4500 rpm then burst to life again. Did it no matter how much fuel in the tank. I remember reading someone said it was a fuel pump and costed it around $2500. Ouch! I had South AK Motors (East Tamaki) look at it. They pulled out the fuel pump, no problem, fuel tank had no debris in it, so put another fuel filter in. Problem solved for princly sum of $100. Not saying thats what you've got but may save you a dollar or two. Good luck.
    FJ
    FJ

Number of posts : 3225
    Registration date : 2008-03-16

XR8 Fuel Surge Empty Re: XR8 Fuel Surge

Post by FJ Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:44 am

Adrian is a member on here now mate, So he should see this post.................Hopefully. Embarassed
    TS50#17
    TS50#17

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2008-03-19

Post by TS50#17 Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:59 pm

Hey meteor, yep it was me with that issue of fuel surge. Mine does it only below half tank, and more on right hand turns. it caught me out trying to shoot across some on coming traffic, little scary. since i have just bought the car from Ford it is covered under the warranty. they had a look thru their service bulletins and found that a high flow fuel pump was the fix. i will let them do it, as a high flow fuel pump can't be all bad Laughing apparently it was a batch issue, so not all cars are affected. my TS certainly doesn't suffer from this, but they did have some tweaks on the fuel system to keep the hungry 5.6L feed.
    cheers Adrian
    FJ
    FJ

Number of posts : 3225
    Registration date : 2008-03-16

Post by FJ Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:04 pm

I thought it might have been the fuel pump as I read on a few other forums that people had a pump issue, because the Ute hasn't got this problem.
    Meteor
    Meteor

Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2008-03-17

Post by Meteor Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:36 am

Geez TS50#17, what a bitch of a choice you've got every morning in front of the garage... Will I drive a TS or an XR? I'd probably be late to work every day... 2 set of keys, 2 top shelf V8's... what the hell do I do? Ya poor buggar! Very Happy
    TS50#17
    TS50#17

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2008-03-19

Post by TS50#17 Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:59 am

thanks mate, i do feel lucky to own two such nice cars. however the choise is usually easy, the TS stays tucked up in the garage for club runs and other special events, its also way too thirsty to drive every day. I thought after driving the XR8 every day (after selling my EF XR6) that it would make the TS less special to drive, but depsite the cars sharing so much hardware, they are still so different, the TS still scares me... I love it! Laughing

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:44 am

How'd get on Adrian ??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:38 pm